Whether you’re moving to a new home or remodelling the bedroom, you don’t need the extra stress. Find what you need from online bedding shops and wait for them at your doorstep. How do you make sure that you’re buying the right thing, though? Here are a few things to remember if you’re trying to select a mattress topper:
1. A Mattress Topper Is Not a Mattress Pad
Many people tend to confuse both and use these terms interchangeably. It is not surprising as these two end up on top of the mattress. A pad, however, is thinner than a topper. You use it only when you want additional protection to the mattress. If you want to combine comfort and security, you go for the topper. A topper can increase the softness or firmness of the bed, but if it doesn’t improve your quality of sleep, you can forego it for a pad instead.
2. It Depends on the Bed Size
The toppers have to match the length and width of the bed, and that can be a problem for a lot of homeowners who are not familiar with the bed sizes. You can use the information below as your guide (note: length comes before the width):
- Twin (38 inches x 75 inches): Contrary to popular belief, this doesn’t fit two people. It can only accommodate one person comfortably. It’s the next size after the crib! It’s the bed you should have for your growing toddlers and children.
- Twin XL (38 inches by 80 inches): This still fits one person, but the extra 5 inches will let it sleep an average-sized adult.
- California King (72 inches by 84 inches): It’s the biggest bed size and can fit two average-sized people with excellent comfort and plenty of room to move around. It also needs a large bedroom. When selecting your bedding, see to it it’s for California king.
- King (76 inches x 80 inches): Compared to the California King, the King-sized bed is long, so average-sized adults don’t need to dangle their feet.
- Queen (60 inches by 80 inches): It’s the ideal bed for couples in starter homes. It has enough wiggle room or space in between.
3. Choose the Material Well
Like the mattress, the topper can be from a variety of materials. One of the most popular is memory foam. Memory foam is a visco-elastic polyurethane material. It is dense, but it also has elastic properties, which means it can return to its shape after use. It means that when you sleep, it follows the mould and even movement of your body. It can also distribute your weight evenly, relieving pressure in target areas such as the back.
If you’re a sweaty person, you can invest in wool. It is hard to come by, but it is moisture wicking. It is also biodegradable and fire-retardant. Perhaps one of its limitations is its need for compression. It means that you need to sleep on it in different positions to allow it to release air. Once you’re done with it, the wool topper should last for about ten years.
Consider these three points, and you can feel confident buying a mattress topper online!